Thursday, October 23, 2014

New portrait for a friend:

I'm just calling this one Granpa cuz well....need I explain?  lol  It's in the first drawing phase and done.  I'll start painting it tonight.  His eyes really are like that so I didn't want anyone to worry.  I have to paint them that way because that's how he looked.  If i didn't it wouldn't be correct.  I talked to the person who's getting it about it and they're ok with it.  It's not something you think about til you come across it.  If someone has you do a portrait of a loved one or them or whatever, and the subject has a type of deformity or handicap, when you paint it you feel like you're making it more noticable, but if you don't paint it would you be offending them even more than if you did.  And sometimes when people don't notice a thing like that as much when they see the person in the real world every day it doesn't seem as obvious, until they see it recreated in a piece of art, then do they become self aware of it to a fault?  It's a hard thing to do. If you paint someone's child who has eyes that are slightly crossed or the child has a slight lazy eye. Slight enough to appear more normal than not but yet noticable to everyone who sees the child, do you paint it in a portrait of the child?  Or correct it for the painting?  It's definitely something you have to politely ask the person you're doing the painting for.  Something to think about.  But anyway, this gentleman was blind in one eye or had a glass eye or something and his right eye is focused a bit off to some other direction and I've got to do that in this painting to be accurate, so don't panic when you see it's progress pictures in the blog.  I haven't lost it.  I'm doing a guy's bad eye.  


No comments:

Post a Comment