Wednesday, March 20, 2013

New Stuff in the Studio!

Totilas has been hacked up.  It's been so frustrating trying to come up with "something"......ANYTHING that people haven't done before already on this new Breyer totilas. The first thing that comes to mind is the front leg stretched outward for an extended trot, but since it really only requires the one front leg moved, everybody is doing that pose now.  So scratch that.  Then I thought, ok, I'll try a collected piaffe pose bouncing.  Well, that seems to be the second most popular pose being done now.  SIGH.  So, I came up with one of two poses nobodie's done yet. The other I'll keep a secret til I get another Totilas.  lol 
But the one I'm doing, I have yet to see anyone do one yet, so I jumped at it.  A Full Pass.  And this baby's gonna be a MARE! A grey mare.  I need to do something to that blocky face of Totilas though.  It's the strangest thing.  I've seen pictures of Totilas and from the photos of him portrait style, he's got a beautiful elegant head.  But when he's under saddle in this dressage ring for some reason his side view, he's got that big bulky block head.  It's the craziest thing.  I thought when I first saw this model that it looked so weird in the face.  The front looks stunning, (the nostrils don't match though)  but he's elegant and slender and beautiful in the face.  But from the side the sculpture looks totally off for him.  It's blocky and bulky and short.  Looks nothing like Keltec Salinero head which is so stunning.  So you'd think it looks nothing like the real horse right?  Wrong.  Totilas has that same blocky bulky head.  Yet only when performing it seems.  I have seen posed photos of him standing in halter and his head isn't blocky or short at all.  So the horse morphs! lol  He looks one way one time and another way another.  But the sculpture portrays him with the blocky head.  So it's a great likeness and at the same time it's not a good look. lol  I think for my model though, the ears need to flop down a bit in front and the head needs some refining.





Here are some pictures to illustrate.


See how his head is so elegant and slender.  Comparing these images to the Breyer sculpture they don't match well at all.  Looks totally off.  But when you look at the Breyer sculpture compared to the below images, it's totally dead on.

Next for the work table.  I've got a couple of TWH twins in the mix.

And a American Saddlebred is in the works.

No comments:

Post a Comment